IKEBANA TO BE VIEWED FROM ALL AROUND

Three weeks ago, on the 3rd of June, I published a photo of my re-worked ikebana from a workshop given by my colleague Lee Johnstone. The theme was 'an arrangement to be viewed from all angles'. At the time I was somewhat dissatisfied with my own arrangement and also the fact that I only photographed the work from one angle.


This is the previously published photo of my arrangement that I had re-constructed at home after the workshop. Last week I returned to the exercise using the same berry bearing materials to which I have added dried aspidistra leaves for a textural contrast.

In this exercise two things are important. Firstly that there should be some material facing the viewer from every angle. That is, from no angle should the viewer see only the 'back' of the materials. Secondly, from each angle the arrangement should present a different aspect.

Here is the new work from three views. 



I think from this first view, the mass of the aspidistra moving toward the backward-stretching branch on the left is the main focus of the work.



View two emphasises the long line of the pittosporum now stretching forward.



The third view makes the mass of the red cotoneaster berries the main focus of the work.

Last week, after I published the blog, I discovered the beautiful blue Ibis was a Straw-necked Ibis, an uncommon visitor in this part of Victoria.

You also might like to follow this link to the 13th June meeting of Ikebana International Melbourne at which some members made presentations about their experiences at the I.I. Convention in Okinawa in April. 

Greetings from Christopher
25th June 2017

1 comment:

  1. You have such lovely interesting containers and one day you should post a photo of all of them! Have you ever counted all of them? Do you have them stored in an Ikebana room or a basement? I have started downsizing some of my collection because I want to move eventually and can’t take them all with me when I do.

    ReplyDelete