BURGUNDY, RED AND ORANGE

Following my visit last week to the tropical glass house at the Royal Melbourne Botanic Garden, I returned on Sunday morning to find that the Titan Arum, having opened on Friday afternoon, had started to close by Sunday morning. Below are two photos I took in which you can see the remarkable, burgundy coloured, interior of the spathe.



The Royal Melbourne Botanic Garden Facebook * page has additional images of the flower in its final stages. T
o me it looks quite tragic in its collapsed state after such a spectacular but brief flowering.


While in the gardens I came across these beautiful red Blood Lilies (haemanthus coccineus ), natives of South Africa. 


You can imagine my surprise to find my neighbour had this collection of pots of Blood Lilies on her garden wall. Being a generous person she gave me a plant and below is close-up photo of its flower.

  

To return to my previous theme of environmental sculpture. The site of the next photo is Fisherman's Beach at Torquay.     


On the beach is a derelict winch mechanism that, in the past, was used to pull larger boats out of the water. 


I have used it to create an environmental sculpture with Strelitzia flower-heads, the colour of which tonally complements the old rusty iron. 



Greetings from Christopher.
22nd March 2015

* Click on the blue text for further information







No comments:

Post a Comment