WATTLE and ROSES

The ninth annual exhibition of ikebana and ceramics at Qdos Gallery in Lorne, on the Great Ocean Road, will take place during the school holidays (23rd September to 7th October). I have therefore visited the gallery to talk to the ceramic artist Graeme Wilkie and recently drove around a corner in the road to be confronted by a large 'black wattle' in full bloom looking like a wall of gold and green. It was a most spectacular and uplifting sight. The tree pictured below must be at least eight metres high.


Below is a picture of an unusual wattle planted by a local resident who has a large variety of wattles. I don't think I have seen this one before and I think the long sweeping branches have great ikebana possibilities.


A couple of weeks ago I bought some orange roses to use in a demonstration for my new  students. They have a lovely touch of green on the outer petals. Here is a single bloom in a small vase I brought in Seto City, Aichi Prefecture Japan, a few years ago.


I made this freestyle using the roses and a dead boxthorn branch that was heavily encrusted with yellowish lichen. (Boxthorn is not native to Australia and is a problematic weed.)


Here is the work again after I removed a leaf on the left side that was interfering with the space created by the boxthorn. The six sided ceramic vase has a temoku glaze and is from Japan. 


A visitor really liked it on this shelf because of the shadow made by the boxthorn.


Greetings from Christopher 
8th September 2012.




No comments:

Post a Comment